Sad Story Behind Snow Day

This post was first published on February 5, 2015, on one of my older blogs. Decided to repost it here at Her Little Guilty Pleasures due to the reasons that I mentioned in this post.

*********************


Something hit me really hard last Tuesday. Something that will always be a reminder for me to be always grateful for all His blessings. Something that will always remind me to be humble and to share His love with everyone else.

I went to guide my friend to his class last Tuesday, a day after the snow day. I was so shocked when I first arrived at the designated building. Snow was everywhere (nothing shocking about this really!) and it was not properly shovelled. My school did not shovel the snow at the accessible parking lots at all and did not shovel the snow on the sidewalks properly.



So, what happened when my school did not shovel the snow properly?

My friend did not get to go this his class.

One of snowy days in Guelph


He had to skip his class even though he was there at the school. His mum cannot park their car as the accessible parking lots were not shovelled. Moreover, his mum couldn't drop him off as the sidewalks were not properly shovelled as well. The snow was still too thick and his mum and I were really sure that his wheelchair would get stuck in the snow.

&

What made me feel so emotional to the point of almost crying was my school did not open accessible entrances to that building. It broke my heart when my friend said, "But I really want to go to this class" and his mum replied, "I know but what can we do? I can't drop you off. You'll get stuck. You can't even enter the classroom. There are stairs everywhere."



I can't imagine if I were in his shoes. To be unintentionally and indirectly denied access to knowledge. To feel so helpless after trying so many ways, but I know it hurts. It huts a lot. I saw the disappointment on his face. I saw his mother's disappointing and helpless face. I, too was deeply disappointed by the situation.

Having said that, this was my first time facing this situation. I guess I was disappointed because I have been pampered with excellent services for the past three years. I am actually pretty proud of my school and all the services that it has been offering all this while. I just hope that my school will pay more attention to this matter so that it will not happen again in the future.

Update in 2024: I still remember this day vividly and I still feel emotional and humbled whenever I read this post ㅠㅠ

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. hi kak farah! long time no see you in blog :D

    your story makes me realize how important the accessibility especially the public areas. sedih baca story ni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BV! Yes, it's been a while. Moga lepas ni istiqamah la kita :D

      Yes, yes, yes. Accessibility is very important! Rasa nak menangis tiap kali terbaca or ternampak video pasal people being denied because of accessibility.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Contact Form